Essex MA Homes
Essex is a coastal town in Essex County, Massachusetts, 26 miles (42 km) north of Boston and 13 miles (21 km) southeast of Newburyport. It is known for its former role as a center of shipbuilding. The population was 3,675 at the 2020 census.
Essex is located on the Essex River, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The town is bordered by Hamilton to the west, Manchester-by-the-Sea to the south, Gloucester to the east, and Ipswich to the north.
- Approx. Population: 3,500
- Approx. Size: 15.9 square miles
- Distance to Boston: 33
- Zip code(s): 01929
Essex has a rich history. The town was founded in 1634 by English settlers, and it quickly became a center of shipbuilding. Essex was home to some of the most famous shipbuilders in the world, including Joshua Humphreys and David Stodder. The town's shipyards built ships for the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.
Essex's shipbuilding industry declined in the late 19th century, but the town has since reinvented itself as a tourist destination. Essex is home to a number of historic sites, including the Essex Shipbuilding Museum, the Old Burying Ground, and the Cogswell's Grant Historic District. The town is also home to a number of shops, restaurants, and art galleries.
Essex is a beautiful town with a rich history. It is a great place to visit for a day trip or a weekend getaway.
Here are some of the things you can do in Essex:
- Visit the Essex Shipbuilding Museum: This museum tells the story of Essex's shipbuilding industry.
- Explore the Old Burying Ground: This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Essex's early settlers.
- Take a walk through Cogswell's Grant Historic District: This district is home to a number of historic buildings, including the Cogswell House and the Essex Library.
- Shop in the town's many boutiques and galleries: Essex is home to a number of independent shops and galleries.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Essex's many restaurants: Essex has a variety of restaurants to choose from, serving everything from seafood to Italian food.
- Take a boat tour of the Essex River: This is a great way to see the town from a different perspective.
Essex is a charming town with a lot to offer visitors. Whether you're interested in history, culture, or just a relaxing day by the water, Essex is the perfect place for you.